Friday, September 22, 2006

Cabs


Cabs, originally uploaded by davidjay13.

I rarely get rental cars anymore because I'm not very good at finding my way to places and with as expensive as they are it's usually cheaper to get a cab anyway! ...and being in a cab is nice because then you can see the sights too. Does anybody know why rental cars are so expensive?

When I rented cars on the tour it was always around 100 bucks and I was thinking wow they only have to rent this a few days a month to cover their costs and everywhere I went they were strapped for cars so I think those businesses must be doing well...or at least have a lot of potential!

5 comments:

K.C. said...

They just keep raising their prices like photographers:)

Anonymous said...

I dont usually have to worry about cabs because the Barlow limo service is usually with me wherever I go!!!
:)

Daniel J. Watkins said...

DJ:

KC is right...rental cars are expensive (like wedding photography) because people need them. You are probably renting all of your cars from airport locations. Airport locations have to pay HUGE fees -- commissions to the airport, visitor / tourism taxes (some cities have more taxes than the rental car company invoice processing systems can detail so they have to self-assess and hope they get it right).

Most rental car companies average (among all locations, not just airport locations) revenues of between $750-$1200 per car per month. The volume at the airport locations carries the slower off-airport locations which will have cars idled more often (and don't have the high fees / taxes to pay). You'll actually save $ in some cities by contacting a rental car company that doesn't have to pay the high airport taxes and fees.

So, if you need a car, take a cab to an off airport location and you'll save up to $20 (or more in some cities) per day on your car rentals.

(sorry, I actually have experience in this industry...feel free to tell me to shut-up!)

--Dan

Sarah Barlow said...

Rental car places are great...except I CAN'T RENT ANYTHING!!! LOL!!!....you have to be like 25 or something! Craziness! So taxi's are better:)

Anonymous said...

they just released the forbes richest americans. the guy who started enterprise rental cars are billionaires!

and i thought cars lost value everyday!!! not for rentals.

just never buy a used rental car. i seen some horrible cars like when people drive 100 miles with the parking brake on or launch off of curbs and speed bumps...