Thursday, July 06, 2006

Purpose

(I don't have internet so I can't respond to posts or emails but thank for sending them...I love reading them on my phone.)

Last night Brett, Sara and I had an awesome conversation about life and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on it.

I think that most people approach life looking for happiness and comfort and I used to as well but not any more. Now I think about growing and fulfilling my purpose that I am slowly discovering through prayer. Right now my life feels very abundant but to be honest there are times when it feels really lonely as well and I quite often have to do things that I'd rather not do...and I'm realizing that the more committed I become to finding and fulfilling my purpose the more I will have to do things that align with that instead of just doing whatever makes me happy.... and I know that I am very blessed but there have been times when I didn't have all that I have now and there may be times in the future where I don't have all that I have now...and that's ok...I chose to put the verse Job 1 on my license plate because I hope to be a man like Job was - willing to praise God despite the circumstances...and also willing to be corrected and humbled by God when his ignorance and arrogance came through.

It's a long process and I'm really thankful to be able to go through it with all of you.

DJ

-------------------------------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.
-------------------------------------------------
davidjay photography inc.
www.davidjay.com
www.opensourcephoto.net
866.727.2777 (Toll-Free)
-------------------------------------------------

10 comments:

Andrew Barlow said...

Hey man, That is right on!!!
If you push for fulfilling that purpose, then once you fulfill it, the statisfaction that comes from fulfilling it is way greater then any of the material, superficial pleasures that would come from just doing what feels good.

MDPhotography said...

Those words are quite profound comeing from a man your age. dj you have great wisdom . It is important to be thankful in the good times and bad.What would sunshine be without a little rain. Sometimes it takes people great hardships to learn humility. Thanks for the inspireing word. keep cranknig those videos.

Sarah Barlow said...

So true!
Not everything that God calls us to do is comfortable or easy but it is worth it because it is his plan for our life! And when we do what he calls us to do that is when we get the most joy and fulfillment out of life! Awesome post! And keep pressing to find that purpose! :)

Grisanti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Grisanti said...

David,
Thanks for sharing your heart. It's cool to hear that success does not necessarily equal happiness. And it's a reminder to seek God's will for our lives, rather than chase after our own goals. The Bible says that if we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our heart.

Deyl said...

I always thought that license plate meant that your job is #1 :)

Great reminder. I wish I could have been there at that dinner. It’s so natural to seek the easy and comfortable way, but that’s not what we’re called to do. This bible verse always resonates through my head: “To whom much has been given, much will be required.” We’ve been given much!

Jasmine said...

Dj...is Deyl as funny in person as he is on the blogger comment section? :)
Your words are so true and if you gain nothing more on your European trip, consider yourself mightily blessed!

Kenneth + Elaine said...

That is uber cool. Thank-you for sharing that.

K+E

Shannon said...

How insightful you are. Thank you for your words.

Anonymous said...

This is long - Thanks for your insight. I totally agree that being able to praise/worship God in the middle of the best and the worst is key. I spent about half of last year totally sick preggo with our wonderful baby boy and did some major "toilet bowl praise". Talk about building character; I need it so much. My goal - to be consistently passionate for God in the middle of any circumstance. Help me Lord.

I'm sure that God's definition of success is not always the same as ours. That's where most everyone struggles. We have to work on getting His vision/purpose for us in every area of life and always keep our face (and because of that our walk) set towards that; staying aligned Him. (The ordering of our steps part can happen quite supernaturally sometimes!) Then we can have rest and joy in Him no matter what is happening around us. If I could be like Paul - content in everything. What if tomorrow God asks me to do something extremely sacrificial; could I praise Him then?

Thanks again for your blog - blessings and more vision to you as you serve.