Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Full Hands?

I'm not sure if I just posted about this but it's something I'm fascinated by so it's worth two posts- it is the importance of being available. My friend Deyl and I talk about it a lot because we constantly see how the best opportunities come to us when we haven't filled our schedule in advance.

It's so weird how it works but in the C.S. Lewis book, The Problem of Pain, he quotes St. Augustine saying, "Often God wants to give us something, but cannot, because our hands are too full."

Are you working hard to free up your life? There are lots of ways to do it - Automation - Outsourcing - Delegation - Elimination and probably many many more. The fastest is Elimination but it's not the easiest. This week I want to challenge you to think of one thing that you can eliminate or maybe just trim down from your daily routine.

10 comments:

Daniel J. Watkins said...

Okay already...I'll cut down on my OSP time...geez...you don't have to make such a big deal...

;)

Sarah Barlow said...

EMAIL!!!


Soo right on! I need to do this way more than I do..although my family says I delegate too much of the house work...? hmm??;) lol!!

Ben Dodds said...

Does TV count??? Can't I just wait until the MLB Playoffs & World Series are over though?

Ginger Murray said...

yeah, I need to do that....

thanks for the reminder.

Katie Humphreys said...

Such a good point! It seems a lot of this comes from the fact that society seems to reward and value people who are always so busy! I often hear people almost bragging about how they are so busy they barely have time to breathe, and somehow think that this makes them more valuable! I love how Tim Ferris says "keeping busy is another form of laziness." You are so right on that when we free ourselves up by NOT having more projects than we can handle, or NOT scheduling every free minute, this is how we can really be productive and become better people! Having our hands too full may look impressive on the outside, but it's the elimination, as you say, that will get us so much farther.

Great post :) See you sometime soon!

Gerald & Airika said...

So true! It's weird that when you ask people "how are you doing," they often respond by saying "I'm busy." Last I checked "busy" isn't an emotion. We are working so hard on eliminating things...we just decided to outsource to Albumesque--I talked to Amy today! Yay!

Shyla said...

I think you posted that for me.

ok ok ok... I'm listening now.

Heather said...

thanks for the reminder. i just have to say that your blog is a wonderful source of inspiration on so many levels. thanks for sharing so openly with all of us.

Agnes said...

ah! must be why we all feel so stuck all the time.
This should do the trick.

Cameron Ingalls said...

eating.... i will eliminate eating.