Thursday, October 19, 2006

Change

Woodrow Wilson once said,

"If you want to make enemies, try to change something"

Isn't that true. :) Don't we all hate change. I know I sure do. I have also learned the importance of understanding changes before wasting energy pointing out the negative affects of change and instead I choose to focus on the positives of any change I'm presented with. I also give any change time before declaring it good or bad.

I kind of chuckled this morning when people saw the 60 posts that I added with my sneaky little friend, the Blog Pirate, and I really wasn't surprised by the immediate resistance to this new feature which I think will be a great addition to OSP.

So rest assured that OSP is not going to be overrun by posts from every blog or news source in the world. Currently it's pulling from 5 sources. Colon and Becker (who post a couple of times a week), Godin (who posts daily), Google Business News (5 or 6 posts a day) and DP Review (usually a couple of posts a week).

So we're looking at very few posts a day. I added some at the beginng to give it some depth but I think we will all do ourselves a favor to wait and give changes on OSP or changes in our life a chance before immediately finding the few reasons we don't like it and working to build resistance to it.

:)
DJ

2 comments:

Daniel J. Watkins said...

Well...change isn't always favorably received. The Edsel. New Coke. The Red Sox selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees. The Atlanta Falcons trading Brett Favre for a mediocre running back named Tony Smith.

A lot of changes are good...it's just that earlier today we saw the "new posts" board light up with all kinds of screen scrapes from other sources.

Turning OSP into an aggregate content provider might have some utilitarian benefit...however...I am a bit skeptical of OSP losing the "feel" of being like home to me. OSP has a personality that DPReview and other sources do not. It's like getting a bunch of "have you seen this?" e-mail forwards from crazy uncle Joe...whose netiquette is still evolving.

I'll trust you know what you're doing...perhaps you can unleash the pirate when most of us are sleeping (you know...those 4 minutes between 3:55 AM and 3:59 AM)? :)

Anonymous said...

I love change