Saturday, May 12, 2007

Back in Action

For the past couple of months I haven't really felt myself. I dunno what it was but for some reason I had trouble finding motivation to do anything. I felt in a slump and really tired and burned out even though I wasn't doing much.

Now I feel like I've been reenergized and I think I figured it out...it's because I'm doing more! Now I'm not doing more things that because I have to do them...I'm doing more things that I believe fall in line with my gifts and my purpose in life and that gives me so much energy and I am so amped!

Today on the flight I had 298 emails to respond to and I responded back to 46 of them and enjoyed it! ...and I'm gonna crank on some more tonight! I'm also excited about the weddings I have coming up. Not because I wake up every morning and want to shoot weddings but because I've found a new purpose in them and have reshaped how I see wedding photography fitting into my life.

Are you looking for purpose in everything that you're doing? I know I often don't and when I don't those activities drain me. Having a purpose behind what you're doing is possibly the greatest motivator you can have so if you haven't thought about why you're doing what you're doing then do that today! It will change your life.

14 comments:

Michael Aaron said...

You got it! I totally agree with what you're saying. Purpose and a value driven life is where it's at in my book. Great seeing you in Chicago buddy.

Nathan Sawatzky Photography said...

I hear ya! Funny how a simple change of your mindset and discovery of purpose has so much of an effect on the rest of the way you are feeling.

Samantha F. said...

Two words: Personal Assistant!!

kennykimdotcom said...

Sounds like you had a good conference this friday! :-)

swan said...

I've found that work is a blast when it's driven by purpose. It's hardly work. In fact, my wife hates it because it's tough to pull me away from all the irons I have in the fire.

Bad Kevin!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog because for some reason you really just hit the nail on the head on the important things in life an though I kinda feel I am getting there in life I love your real reminders, thanks for the inspiration

Kevin Keith said...

Good word DJ. I am always looking for purpose. My biggest purpose is to make others feel good about themselves but that can easily get lost when your caught in the struggles of running your own biz. Great meeting you in person DJ. Thanks for reading my blog.

You Rock,

Kevin

Megan said...

I totally get 'cha! Knowing your ultimate purpose in life then being priviledged to live that purpose out by doing something that you enjoy is the bestest combo ever! :)

Fed said...

DJ I been feeling the same way for months now. Yet I've been trying to juggling 45-50hrs a week as a retail manger, a wife , two awesome kids and shooting wedding. I had to push so hard, as I could not motivate myself. Last night I learned the the purpose behind why I do it. I downloaded showitweb around 12pm and started shooting a wedding at 3:30pm. I presented my first slide show at that wedding last night at the reception. I got the best feed back ever. The father of the groom was in tears as he watched the show, the Bride and groom had the biggest smiles on their face. That feeling I felt while watching them was great and not I know why I want to do this full time. Thanks Man IOU

Mike Larson said...

DJ it was good seeing you in church today, its been a while since I've been back, anywho, Im amped from our conversation and seriously, lets say before the end of the year, some kind of retreat happens... See you around buddy!

Mike Larson said...

DJ it was good seeing you in church today, its been a while since I've been back, anywho, Im amped from our conversation and seriously, lets say before the end of the year, some kind of retreat happens... See you around buddy!

|| davidjay || said...

Right on! It's cool how purpose can also unite people. Even if their purpose isn't the same it seems that people who are striving to make a bigger impact in the world are of the same mold.

amynave said...

HEY, you need to go running!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Barlow said...

So right on!! It hard when the small petty things weigh you down and keep you from seeing what the original purpose was!
I agree with Samantha about the personal assistant! Sarah C. is starting work today with me so I'll finally be able to FOCUS again!! :)
So excited that your excited again! haha!