Friday, June 30, 2006

Dreams...

I put this in the newsletter but wanted to share it here as well because I think it's really important.

The book I've been reading this month is Your Road Map for Success by John Maxwell. He says,

"We can do anything but we can't do everything." and goes on to say, "There can be no success without sacrifice."

I think that in order to obtain any level of success in life we need to learn how to give up control and trust others...We must also be prepared and disciplined to do the things that get us closer to our dreams even when those decisions aren't necessarily what we want to be doing.

Over the past couple of years Mike Colon has burned the words "Think Long Term" into my brain and that advice has allowed me to make decisions very quickly because I only do things that will get me closer to my goals and I only set goals that will get me closer to my dream.

I want to encourage you all to spend some time thinking about what your dream is? What do you want to create with your life and then start setting goals that get you on the path to that dream.

7 comments:

Sarah Barlow said...

That's sooo true! Without a vision or dream people don't know what to do so their decisions don't really matter! Definitely having a vision driven life makes things a WHOLE lot easier!
....thanks alot DJ...I just read this post to my dad...so now he's inspired...and instead of going out to a movie...we have stay home and read!! lol! :) Well I guess that decision was made from "Thinking Long Term" so that's good.. hehe!

Anonymous said...

man, DJ!! since you have such influence on my dad...can you tell him to take us to Hawaii with you????
That is an awesome quote!


Hope your having fun..we miss you!!

Dawn Davis said...

That is great advise and we concur. To dream is to believe...... so dream big!

I just posted a slideshow using your software... see your dream all the way in Chicago and God knows where else your software has made it to! You should be so proud.

Here's our link... check it out if you can!
http://www.xanga.com/lastoriafoto/503184088/item.html

~ Dawn & Bob

treverhoehne said...

Thanks for the advice about vision. It is such a huge part to going places and it is so good to be reminded of that.

|| davidjay || said...

Haha! Good for Pastor Joe! Reading is where it's at! :) I'll see what I can do about Hawaii! How awesome would that be!

Deyl said...

Make no small plans. They have no magic to stir humanity’s blood
and probably themselves will not be realized.
Make big plans; aim high in hope and work,
remembering that a noble, logical plan once recorded will never die,
but long after we are gone will be a living thing,
asserting itself with ever-growing insistency.
Remember that our sons and daughters are going to do things that will stagger us.
Let your watchword be order and your beacon, beauty.
Think big.

Daniel Burnham; US Architect, 19th Century

Anonymous said...

I've read a few of John Maxwell's books and Your Road Map for Success is a great one. Speaking of living your dream and no success without sacrifice, have you ever read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho? It's a a fable about following your dream. It's one of my fave books. Check it out. -Edwin