Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Price of Success

Most of you know me as a sweet, nice, "lovecat" type of person BUT all of that crap ends when I step on the field. If any of you could've seen me play soccer in college you wouldn't have recognized me. lol .... After all the anger management therapy I've mellowed a bit :) but I still play to win...and checkout the flexibility in this shot!

I hadn't played soccer in two years because I've been playing to win in business and with that I sacrificed many things that I love. One of which was soccer but yesterday I got to strap on the boots and score some goals.

We played the alumni vs. the current players and we played the best of 5 games which was about 4 games more than my body could handle...but I managed to pull a few goals out, mostly because I had some superstars feeding me brilliantly...but also b/c I'm just fast. ;)

As with all success it came at a price. My heart was far bigger than head and my body broke down a bit and I can hardly walk today but if my feet feel ok I'm going to try and play again this afternoon. As you can see my shoes tore up my heels which was a bummer but I kept scoring goals and had two goals in the final game including the game winner.

At the end you can hear me celebrating two goals. :)







...and after the game I gave my shoes to Johnny because I'm certainly never going to wear them again with what they did to my feet. Yikes.

22 comments:

Daniel J. Watkins said...

In business to win, eh? So you've been beating the pants off your competish...er...customers, right? LOL

I'm planning a hockey comeback this fall...yes, at age 41. My high school team started an annual alumni game a few years ago. I just need to drop about 20 more el-bees and I'll be able to fit into my gear again.

Thanks for the inspiration...I'll be sure to wear thick socks...

kennykimdotcom said...

I didn't realize your middle name was Beckham. :-) Hey just left u a voicemail. Hope to see u this week bro.

|| davidjay || said...

The best way to win in business is to help others win as well. :)

Emmanuel Speciale said...

Yeah You are the New Zidane! :) hihihihihi

Brad Person said...

You rock, man. Glad you were able to put the shoes on again! I feel your pain. I play in our college hockey alumn game every year and it takes me about a week to recover :) Wish I had your speed, dude. These college guys in their prime just fly right by me now on skates.

Mike Larson said...

d

Unknown said...

Two years? I don't think so -- I think you were playing against some mexican kids in your Vamos video. Come to think of it -- that was about 2 years ago!

Mike Larson said...

dude soccer is my fav land sport!! I played 14 years and miss it everyday. It gets hard to find friends to play win the older we get. What triathlon are you doing in two months??we are doing he carp one with TARA.

Jasmine said...

DJ...you kept on saying throughout the video, "I am fast", but shouldn't you have been saying, "We won the game because Fast I Am" ? ;)

|| davidjay || said...

We actually won b/c I'm good at scoring goals and by the end I wasn't fast anymore. I only have so much fastness in me and at game 5 I was all out of it.

Amy Martin said...

LOL Jasmine! :)

Ewww to your poor feet, but sweet shot up top!

The City Girl said...

it's so fun to go out and try doing what you did years ago! humbling, too:) but i guess if you're "fast i am" then you're fast!

amynave said...

You ran 2miles and played five soccer games all in one week??? Ok, who are you and what have you done with David Jay. LOL... Pretty Awesome!

Gary Fong, Author said...

sore your feet are!

Gary Fong, Author said...

decorating with bloody socks!

Nicholaus Haskins said...

2 Things

1. Right on - "Give and it shall be given unto you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over"

2. I would sooooo love to race this "fast guy" that you speak of! lol. I used to run a 4.4 - 40 in high school...lemme know when your down! Its on!

Deyl said...

i heard the socks and skin flap is for sale on ebay

Sarah Renée said...

Yeah Deyl, I actually just saw it go for about 1/2 a million (that's gross btw!...)

Haha, that's awesome--go soccer!! We should try to get a game goin when you're here! I dunno if you can stand up to my mad skills on D! (5 years ago...lol)

Josef Samuel said...

haha. i think we should play sometime. i grew up in deep south america, where we played on dirt and gravel fields. you may be fast, but i'm faster! :)

Vanessa said...

So Fun!!

I knew you were secretly envious of my blisters...now it's mine turn to say awww and fret over your boo boos! ;)

Pain is so good sometimes, isn't it? :)

Grisanti said...

DJ,
The way you're talking at the beginning, about arriving early, for some reason it reminded me of Bill Murray in "Caddyshack" when he's playing make-believe - ". . .Cinderella story. . .IT'S IN THE HOLE!"
If you haven't seen that movie, it's worth renting it just for that scene.

Grisanti said...

p.s.
Is soccer a sport?
:)