Sunday, February 01, 2009

Rental Market is Crazy Here


So last year when I was going on tour my friend Paige who is a brilliant business woman told me to rent my house while I was gone. So I setup my house on this website and got like two inquiries and she said "DJ you don't know what you're doing - let me do it." ...and as a favor she created a website for my house (with Showit of course) - www.montjay.com - and ever since then I've been flooded with inquires.

I had 37 inquires in the last month of people wanting to pay me $600/night to stay here! Wow! I want to be here so I didn't accept any of them (or even reply for that matter) but this summer when I'm traveling more I'm totally gonna rent it again. I actually love renting it because it makes me feel good that someone is enjoying this place when I can't and it makes me feel good that I am making money with a resource that I have AND I love it because it keeps the house simple. You can't have clutter and crap everywhere when you rent it and to be honest most houses are just full of a bunch of junk that the people collected over the years and should be thrown away. I don't really have stuff like that. My house and decorations are very simple and minimal and it helps me breath.

What resources do you have at your disposal? They don't have to be things that you own but simply things that you have access to that somebody else needs? Think about this? Think about what other people need and how you can offer it to them. Whether you actually go through with it is irrelevant - it's just a good exercise to get your brain working in the realm of solutions.

7 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Cool deal! If you ever want to swap for a few days in one of my cabins let me know. www.wrightwoodcabins.com

michelle ford said...

good deal dj. i need to call paige. i need to find a renter for my house so i can keep living in the philippines. i live so close to disneyland i'm sure there's a draw to it.

Daniel J. Watkins said...

I have a couple of lightspheres that are unemployed right now...how much do you think those are worth? ;)

Unknown said...

What will you think of NEXT??? (hint: you can't rent your kidneys out, sorry DJ!) ;-)

wildflowr said...

oooo lala- we SO need to talk!
Did you ever see my cottages or were they under construction when you came to visit? Of course, I know I will be calling you anyway for pis of the manor but I would love to talk to you more about the vacation rental thing.
(ps... not a single painting in the whole house? Your poor renters!)

Bobby Earle said...

That site is RIPPING! Loved the client vid :)

Ginger Murray said...

I love your library room. I remember when you were excited about buying that chair. Pretty sure I'd fall asleep while reading... not helping with the fact that I have a hard time finishing books, haha!